The Asylum asked The Extroverts own Eddie Lester 10 questions about the band and their upcoming Sudbury performance with Big Knife Little Knife. We are stoked for this legendary Canadian punk band to hit Sudbury, and in the meantime here is a look into the world of The Extroverts to prepare you for the show!
1. When did the band form and how did it come into existence?
Our lead singer Brent and his pal Dennis conceived of the Extroverts as early as 1977, and various nasty basement-only incarnations existed. Brent met Eddie in 1978, and a few live gigs ensued, until the drummer and bass player left town for various reasons, some law-related. Hap and Grant signed on in 1979 and the Extroverts wrote 50 songs in 2.5 years.
2. What has been your most memorable moments as a touring musician, or as a musician in general?
We had some crazy shows in the old days, especially when we ended up in front of audiences who either hated us or didn’t know what to make of us or both things. Getting fired from a metal/top 40 bar in Brandon after two night, then crafting the words “Lick Me” in link sausages on the windowsill of our room ranks up there I guess.
3. Can you let people know about your music, and what inspires you?
Think early 80’s punk, new wave, post punk, dancable rock music. The Clash inspires us.
4. What are your views on the current music industry and what are your predictions for the future?
Music is no longer an industry, in the sense that it was in 1979. In the future, bands like ours will make no money from music sales, next to nothing from live performance, and a bit from merch sales. Waitaminnit. That’s not the future.
5. What sort of idealogy does the band have, and what message do you have for the world?
To us, punk means doing whatever the heck it is you want to do.
6. If you could change 1 thing about the world, what would it be?
Shorter distance from Regina to Sudbury.
7. What does the band have in store for the future and what can fans expect from the band?
We are heavily influenced by first wave UK punk, and it is our dream to have our music distributed in UK and to play there, as well as Europe.
8. Can you let people know about your releases, and where they can get your music to support the band?
All the links to Bandcamp, etc, can be found at www.TheExtroverts.com
9. Have you ever been to Sudbury, and what can fans expect at the show here?
No, and you can expect us to give 100%, every show, every time.
10. Do you have any closing comments, or wise words of wisdom for our readers?
We are old enough to realize that we are not wise. We do love rocking, though, and can’t wait to make new friends in Sudbury.